Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I'm Looking for Something...

I decided to visit a very small branch of my local library to do a little mystery shopping.  I visited during the middle of the day and found the location to be quite crowded with mostly older patrons and moms with little ones.  There was only one librarian working the desk.  I have to be honest, my hopes for great service were not high.  I waited in line for a couple of minutes behind other patrons, and when I approached the desk, boy was I surprised!  The librarian was absolutely wonderful!!! She asked great questions about my favorite genres, my favorite authors, and even the most recent book I have read that I just couldn't put down.  After working her magic on her computer, she provided me with a list of books that she thought I would love, and she was spot on.  All of them are books I have on my GoodReads shelf to be read. 

Even though she was alone and very busy, she still provided me with excellent service, offered to help me find the book if I needed it, and never rushed through providing me service.  I will definitely go back to this library branch again.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a great experience. This is the way that Readers' Advisory should go. Hopefully someday, I'll be able to do what this librarian has done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience - and I admit that, sadly, I wasn't really expecting it. I think throughout my MLS experience, I've read too many articles in which the librarian dreads the question, "Can you recommend a good book?" I was almost expecting the librarian to shift uncomfortably and lead me to the "New Books" shelves, but he used his computer to find several great read-alikes based on a book that I had mentioned to him. I guess when I first started working at the adult reference desk, I kind of dreaded the "good book" question, but now that I'm learning how to use tools such as NoveList, Fantastic Fiction, I actually look forward to it! Hopefully the tides are turning for the librarian's outlook on the readers' advisory conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how, even though they are so busy, librarians can take the time to truly help patrons that WANT their help. Did she walk you through her process of how she selected books for you (other than asking questions?). Were there other people waiting for her help? I often wonder whether that makes a difference. I'm glad you had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie,
    That's great! I had an experience last year where the library was helpful, but, while she was searching the computer, I was left standing and waiting, which felt like a long time [even though it was probably only a few minutes]. I'm curious....when she was searching on the computer, did she talk with you, or, let you see the screen to participate in the search process?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie! That sounds like such a great experience! I found my librarian very nice and helpful as well. Unfortunately, the book suggestions, while in the right category, did not work for me. I'm glad you were able to add some books to your tbr pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy you had such a positive experience and you got books you'd actually want to read!

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 prompt response

I’m probably really showing my age here, and figure I might very well be the oldest person in this class!  There was absolutely no techn...