Sunday, March 11, 2018

Book Club Observation


I have never been a member of a book club, so I decided to do an observation at my local library.  The club I attended was for fans of mystery novels, so I was quite pleased.  The club meets monthly at this particular branch in one of the library’s study rooms.  It was a small room, but big enough for the members.  There were six of us, including the facilitator, who was one of the branch librarians.

The atmosphere was very laid back and comfortable.  Everyone knew each other, and they were very friendly and welcoming to me.  I introduced myself and told them I was there for a school project, and they were very interested in helping.  They invited me to ask any questions and to join them again at any time.  I had a very good time and gained a lot of insight into what other mystery readers look for, so I will most likely visit with them again.

I had always assumed that there was an “assigned” book to be read for each meeting, but this club was different.  There are times that they discuss a particular book, but for the most part they just discuss what they have been reading on their own.  Each member described the plot, characters, what they found interesting about the book, and whether they enjoyed it, all without giving up too much detail.  When I inquired about this, they told me that they prefer to share ideas about different books with one another so they can decide what they want to read.  The only time they really have an “assigned” book is if there is a new release that everyone is interested in reading and discussing.  The moderator did take time during the meeting to discuss upcoming new releases for the group to discuss.

The moderator prompted the discussions along from one person to the next, asking who would like to be the next to share, but there didn’t have to be prompting by her for members to ask questions, they did so on their own.  Most questions were about plot, characters and pacing, and if the reader recommended the book to others.  Everyone took turns very well, and there wasn’t any member who tried to out talk the others. 

The library provides coffee for the group, but no snacks.  Members are welcome to bring their own, and they usually do, by taking turns each month on who brings something.  It appears that it is typically a dessert.  This group has been meeting for quite some time and seems more like a gathering of friends than a club.  They did tell me that they have met occasionally for dinner around the holidays and have a gift exchange.  I really was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed myself and I would like to attend again.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    I think it's very interesting that they talk about what they've been reading on their own instead of everyone covering one book. When they discuss what they've been reading do the other members ask questions or anything?

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 prompt response

I’m probably really showing my age here, and figure I might very well be the oldest person in this class!  There was absolutely no techn...