Saturday, April 14, 2018

Week 14 Prompt Response

Another caution this week, and I apologize in advance.  I'm on my soapbox again, probably because this is an issue I might see a little differently than others.  As a woman who is married to a woman, I do not want to feel like I am categorized or put into some special box because of just one piece of who I am.  I do not want special rights, just to be treated as another human being on this planet who likes to read what I want and not feel discriminated about it.. 

I have to admit, the articles really irritated the hell out of me.  I felt like the community was presenting itself as tolerant and accepting, but when the petitioner commented that they just have pity for people who are confused and transgendered, it made my blood boil.  I don't think they feel pity at all, I believe they are trying to hide their homophobia under the guise of tolerance.  I particularly enjoyed the comment made by Board member Mabel Mantel, who said that banning the book is counterproductive, and that it's parents' responsibility to monitor their children's reading.

So, of course, my response is that you do not separate the books.  First, I believe it promotes segregation, and if we start separating books, where will it ever end?  Second, I believe it is discriminatory and a violation of privacy to separate books.  Perhaps a patron has some curiosity about a subject, any subject not just LGBTQ, and is seen browsing in that special section.  Will there be speculation about that person?  Who wants to be judged for what they read? Who wants to feel like they are being labeled because they might like to try something new? And maybe nobody needs to know what other people are reason, because frankly it is none of their business.  And last, but certainly not least, I think keeping books together does promote the possibility of expanding a patron's reading horizons.  Maybe they wouldn't normally pick a book with a special theme, but they find that they actually enjoy it.  I also think it is important in the children and teen sections as well, because parents should be investigating the books their children are choosing.  The library is supposed to be a safe haven for a diverse population, and that should include its collection.

Off my soapbox.  And yes, it was a little strange to "come out" to you all over a blog posting  :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    I personally am glad that you wrote this because it helps to hear an opinion from someone who has a personal connection to one of the topics under consideration. I was actually wondering if a member of the LGBT community would PREFER a section in which to find books related to the topic and your post cleared that right up. I realize that you don't speak for everyone, but you provide very valid reasons for your thoughts and I appreciate your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melanie,
    The subject of persons of GBLTQ is a delicate one, and individuals can crash by running into the walls of the subject. This is a subject that divides individuals. I’m not afraid of persons of GBLTQ; they are human beings. Sometimes, the tendency of persons of GBLTQ to highlight their hair in a certain manner can appear unusual, but otherwise I cannot understand why some individuals can become frightened by something that has been perceived as an anomaly.

    There are some individuals who are terrified of persons of GBLTQ, and I feel that they are reacting instinctively. The problem is persons of GBLTQ have existed for centuries. I think that communities try to forget this fact. Personally, I don’t really have homophobia, aside from the slight fear of viewing potentially questionable attire from persons of GBLTQ in public. I view the topic of persons of GBLTQ as more of a morality issue. Saying this can be a big deal, since this is where persons with different beliefs will run into the walls of the subject of persons of GBLTQ.

    It’s almost fascinating that the walls are there. The same reaction will occur: a great crash between belief systems and ideologies that cannot be reconciled. How does society deal with these walls? The subject of persons of GBLTQ is so divisive that society usually can’t handle it, and people crash into the walls all the time. This is what some individuals loathe and seek to remedy. However, why do individuals try to remedy it? Why do individuals want to destroy the walls? How do individuals give up their beliefs when they believe in opposite ideas?

    A loss of belief leads to a loss of identity. A shift in belief can be dangerous; this is what human beings fear. So, those reasons are why I believe that materials of GBLTQ should be segregated from a library’s main collection. However, I understand your concerns about integrating materials. GBLTQ materials are repositories of information. The existence of information typically contains value unless the topic of morality is included. Since a number of individuals believe that the topic of morality is associated with the subject of GBLTQ materials, library staff members may have to determine if books about persons of GBLTQ should be included in the library’s main collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan,
      You have an interesting perspective, and while I respect it, I don't necessarily agree with it. You say a shift in belief can be dangerous, but a shift in belief can also be enlightening. What is "dangerous" is singling out a group because they don't don't fit into your idea of a norm. What is the difference between a "LGBTQ" section created to appease patrons who aren't comfortable with those materials, and a "Whites Only" drinking fountain?

      Delete
  3. Like Shawn stated, I am so glad to have a student with a personal stake in the matter give their opinion, this is a hotly debated topic and your input is really valuable! Personally, I've always felt that once we start separating books by race and sexuality then we've defeated the purpose of genres. Every genre can have characters of different races and sexuality. Full points and thank you so much for sharing your personal opinion and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this post. Your input is so valuable, because while I totally disagree with segregating books of any kind, I am not African American or a member of the LGBT community, and I'm not always comfortable speaking "for" people, as it were. I will ALWAYS stand up for equal rights, and against discrimination. part of the reason I love being a librarian so much is because of the inherent values that are the foundation of the profession, and listed in the Library Bill of Rights. The library should be the safest and most accepting of places, where all ideas are welcome. I applaud and appreciate your candor on the topic and your own personal experiences and feelings. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 prompt response

I’m probably really showing my age here, and figure I might very well be the oldest person in this class!  There was absolutely no techn...