Saturday, April 7, 2018

Week 13 Prompt

Caution: I am going to try REALLY hard to stay off my soapbox with this one, but I'm not sure how well I can do so.

My opinion is that as librarians we should definitely work to ensure that we serve everyone, even those patrons who enjoy young adult and graphic novels.  Why should we treat them any differently than any other patron? 

I get a bit heated about this topic.  I've heard comments that young adult novels are just drivel.  That graphic novels are just fancy comic books.  My question is: so what if they are????? Personally, I don't feel this way, and I think that both genres have great things to offer their readers.   Anytime we get a book in the hands of a patron and they enjoy it, I say that is a job well done.  Any reading is a good thing, I don't care what genre it is.  Personally, I enjoy YA novels, and find that they are well written and age appropriate.  I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels, but I'm certainly not going to criticize what anyone chooses to read.  Like I said before, any reading is good reading and gets the mind to think outside the box.  I think that is a great thing!

2 comments:

  1. I hope there is room on your soapbox for me, because I agree with you 100%! People like what they like. There is no wrong choice. Those who are calling YA novels "drivel" likely have never even read one! I think that a lot of YA novel critics have forgotten how it felt to be a young adult. They forget that teens have real issues and that sometimes those issues are of adult magnitudes. It's not all teen angst, young love and "oh no, my cell battery died." It's also physical/mental abuse, death, disease, poverty, homelessness, racial tension, bullying. It's not easy being a young adult; not that I am one, but I DO remember how hard those teen years were.

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 prompt response

I’m probably really showing my age here, and figure I might very well be the oldest person in this class!  There was absolutely no techn...